3D modelling
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 3D modelling  (Read 9039 times)

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
3D modelling
« Reply #20 on: 09/ 13/ 2012, 11:52:40 PM »
WHY WOULD I DO IT ANY OTHER WAY I ASK YOU

AAAAWWWW YYYYEEAAAAHHHHH.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
3D modelling
« Reply #21 on: 09/ 14/ 2012, 04:40:38 PM »
Started a Harley Quinn model.

Lookin' good!  though, you're probably going to want to change the topology of the breasts a little bit

(colored picture is a much better model, but the 2nd one gets a better close up of the general idea)

also  if you're planning on rigging and posing / animating, this can be a really nice trick for elbows and knees  to keep pinching to a minimum by changing the topo of the inside to look like

Keep up the good work!  looking forward to a finished version!!! :D

JusticeDude

•   
  • j/k, it's always spookytime
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
3D modelling
« Reply #22 on: 09/ 14/ 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Lookin' good!  though, you're probably going to want to change the topology of the breasts a little bit

Oh the breasts aren't in place at all.  I know how tough they are to model so I was gonna do it later. 

I worked a little on the feet today but I don't like how they look.  There are some differences between the front and side reference images that are making me a little crazy.  I deleted what I had and will start again soon.

Thanks for those topo references.  I'll be saving and referring to them later most definitely.

The problem is I'm using an excellent video tutorial series that's made for realistic females, but I'm trying to repurpose it for a very cartoony, stylized character.

EDIT: Also I don't plan on animating, per se, but I do want to rig and pose it.  My goal is to make models for 3D printing so I can make my own figures <3 <3 <3
« Last Edit: 09/ 14/ 2012, 06:56:06 PM by JusticeDude »

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
3D modelling
« Reply #23 on: 09/ 15/ 2012, 01:47:12 AM »
Oh the breasts aren't in place at all.  I know how tough they are to model so I was gonna do it later. 

I worked a little on the feet today but I don't like how they look.  There are some differences between the front and side reference images that are making me a little crazy.  I deleted what I had and will start again soon.

Thanks for those topo references.  I'll be saving and referring to them later most definitely.

The problem is I'm using an excellent video tutorial series that's made for realistic females, but I'm trying to repurpose it for a very cartoony, stylized character.

EDIT: Also I don't plan on animating, per se, but I do want to rig and pose it.  My goal is to make models for 3D printing so I can make my own figures <3 <3 <3

Gotchya!   CGcookie is definitely a good place to go! But yeah, just looking around at 3D forums and looking at other people's topology is always helpful!

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
3D modelling
« Reply #24 on: 10/ 29/ 2012, 05:45:31 PM »
I've been working a lot more on my portfolio lately, and doing some speed modeling challenges, so I've got a bunch of new modeling junk!

(90 min Speed Challenge)

(90 min Speed Challenge)

(90 min Speed Challenge)

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
3D modelling
« Reply #25 on: 10/ 29/ 2012, 08:23:56 PM »
90 minutes!? For those!? Holy shit, dude. Talent, you has.

Badge get.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
3D modelling
« Reply #26 on: 10/ 29/ 2012, 09:09:51 PM »
90 minutes!? For those!? Holy shit, dude. Talent, you has.

Badge get.

Thanks!  :D

If any of the other people modeling (or trying to get into modeling are interested, 3Dtotal has a bunch of different kinds of weekly / monthly contests going on all the time(http://forums.3dtotal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)

JusticeDude

•   
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
3D modelling
« Reply #27 on: 01/ 25/ 2013, 03:53:18 PM »
I'm finally getting back to work on that Harley Quinn model.  Here's her hand.  I think I finally got it looking the way hands look in the Animated Series.

Still to do:
-face
-bust
-misc costume details
-fringes on neck and ankles

I'm trying to get her done by the end of the month (arbitrary deadline) and send it off to Shapeways for printing.

JusticeDude

•   
3D modelling
« Reply #28 on: 01/ 26/ 2013, 03:54:30 PM »
More work in progress.

Head needs work, mostly around the eyes and lips.
Body needs tweaking.  It's difficult to get breasts to look like they weren't modeled by an idiot/misogynist, but I'm getting close.
Foot is done.
Hand needs retopology.

Then I get to rig the whole thing and pose it for prints yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

JusticeDude

•   
3D modelling
« Reply #29 on: 02/ 02/ 2013, 11:21:19 AM »
Here's what my final Harley model looks like.  Since last post I had to completely retopologize the head, body, and hands.

JusticeDude

•   
3D modelling
« Reply #30 on: 02/ 20/ 2013, 03:03:40 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
  • Loli Apprentice and Kuroneko's Illegitimate Child
  • Badges SCIENCE! Beedog Approved Moonspeaker Cosplayer Manly Man Spotted Memebon Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Bears
3D modelling
« Reply #31 on: 02/ 20/ 2013, 04:34:53 PM »
Yoooooo that's awesome!!! I really need to start working on my modelling skills.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
3D modelling
« Reply #32 on: 02/ 20/ 2013, 04:40:59 PM »
So when can I start placing my questionable orders?

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
  • Badges SCIENCE! Beedog Approved Moonspeaker Cosplayer Manly Man Spotted Memebon Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Bears
3D modelling
« Reply #33 on: 04/ 27/ 2013, 03:20:33 PM »
I've been messing around in Solidworks and trying to put a Figma stand together. Here's what I have after about 2 hours of work. It's not much, but hey, it's better than anything I've ever done in Inventor, so at least I feel like I'm making progress.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
3D modelling
« Reply #34 on: 04/ 27/ 2013, 03:25:47 PM »
I used to do solidworks in school. It's not bad (not that I've used any other cad programs to compare it too.) I don't  think I ever made anything more complicated than a tank model.

JusticeDude

•   
3D modelling
« Reply #35 on: 04/ 27/ 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
Cool, you gonna 3D print that stand?

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
3D modelling
« Reply #36 on: 04/ 27/ 2013, 03:55:33 PM »
Cool, you gonna 3D print that stand?

Probably not. The quality of the campus 3d printers aren't all that great. But we'll see. I need to actually finish the model before I decide what I want to do with it haha.

UPDATE: Day 3 of using Solidworks. I've been working on this for an hour a day over the past 3 days and I definitely like how much simpler Solidworks is to manipulate as opposed to Inventor. The last thing left for me to figure out is how to do threaded holes and screws. Once I get that together, it will be complete!

JusticeDude

•   
3D modelling
« Reply #37 on: 05/ 25/ 2013, 07:14:16 PM »
Current project:

You can only see the low poly version here but there's a higher res mesh with sculpted detail for the mask and bib thingy.  The diffuse map is near-final.  The only thing I'm debating is adding black outlines to separate the white bib and face areas from the suit.  She needs a better facial expression, and she's already rigged for posing, but will probably need a little extra weight painting (which I hate doing).

I can't wait to get it printed and have sitting on my desk, but BOY am I ready to be done with this project.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
3D modelling
« Reply #38 on: 07/ 05/ 2013, 12:16:02 AM »
Made the switch to Maya 2014, which added a lot of things that should have been in there before (A bunch of which were already in Blender :P)  The biggies for me:
--Grease Pencil
--Modeling toolkit (Especially Quad-Draw, makes piece modeling OMGEasy)
--Better Polygon Reduction (old version of this sucked, took a lot of playing around to get it to work)
--Viewport 2.0 got a lot of overhaul (essentially lets you work in a rendered scene, rather than have to render out things to see how things will actually look in a scene)

and most importantly:
The ability to use Bonus Tools (2013 had a UI bug that didn't allow over 1/2 the stuff to work for me)  This has a bunch of plugins / scripts (like a multi-object unwrapper O_o) that are making life so much easier.

anyway, tree for a game I'm trying to get off the ground

JusticeDude

•   
3D modelling
« Reply #39 on: 09/ 20/ 2013, 09:34:52 PM »
Latest project WIP.

WWRRRYYYYYYYYY