The Legend of Korra (Spoilers)
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Legend of Korra (Spoilers)  (Read 36224 times)

Sonic9jct

•   
  • Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Badges Moonspeaker Artsy Fartsy Sauninda Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
    • Sanpozeit
The Legend of Korra (Spoilers)
« on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 12:17:08 AM »
I'm hoping some of you guise are/were Avatar fans.  If so, the first two episodes of the spin-off/sequel is up on the site for the watchans with your eyes.  And it's good.  Very good.  Anybody else gotten a chance to check this out yet?

For those of you who didn't know, the episodes go up in high quality/HD on Nick's website a day or so after they air.  A few days later they are also up sans commercials.

http://www.korranation.com/

My opinion? It was really really really good.  I'm totally looking forward to more of this.
« Last Edit: 05/ 03/ 2012, 11:47:16 PM by Sonic9jct »

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
  • Loli Apprentice and Kuroneko's Illegitimate Child
  • Badges SCIENCE! Beedog Approved Moonspeaker Cosplayer Manly Man Spotted Memebon Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Bears
The Legend of Korra (Spoilers?)
« Reply #1 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 12:22:26 AM »
FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Korra is a babe.

Sonic9jct

•   
  • Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Badges Moonspeaker Artsy Fartsy Sauninda Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
    • Sanpozeit
« Reply #2 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 12:23:58 AM »
FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Korra is a babe.

New waifu candidate?

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #3 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 12:31:29 AM »
 Was Avatar actually good? From the episodes I've seen it seemed like a simple, very childish cartoon. Entirely uninteresting.

Sonic9jct

•   
  • Wubba lubba dub dub
    • Sanpozeit
« Reply #4 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 12:37:47 AM »
Was Avatar actually good? From the episodes I've seen it seemed like a simple, very childish cartoon. Entirely uninteresting.

I thought the same thing too, until I actually sat down and watched it.  It's got surprisingly good writing, an incredible sense of scale and pacing, and some of the best character development I've ever seen on a show.  Even when I claimed not to like it, something about it always held my attention.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #5 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 01:21:11 AM »
i totally agree. avatar was a spectacular show. i place it above most anime in my list of favorite TV shows. i mostly like that it has respect for its audience, and doesnt shy away from love and death, two things usually tip-toed around in western animation. i watched the first episode of legend of korra and i was really really happy. korra seems like a great character, and i really love what they have done with the world in the time since the events of the last series. and i was so happy to see at least one character from the last series was still alive.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #6 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 01:40:52 AM »
 But it's LOOOONG :(

Sonic9jct

•   
  • Wubba lubba dub dub
    • Sanpozeit
« Reply #7 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 01:42:53 AM »
But it's LOOOONG :(

Quite the contrary. If anything, the original series is way too short. It only consists of 3 really short seasons.  While I was sick over Christmas, I managed to get through it in two sittings. And I still plenty time left afterwards.

and i was so happy to see at least one character from the last series was still alive.

Me too, but thankfully only one. Gentle nods were appreciated over fan-service-y shit like "what is your favorite character doing in the future? Something unsatisfying you weren't expecting!"

First clue that they know what they are doing with this show.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
« Reply #8 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 01:52:17 AM »
Quite the contrary. If anything, the original series is way too short. It only consists of 3 really short seasons.

That's two seasons more than any anime I've really watched in the last... 4 years, outside of K-on, Working, and 4 of the episodes from the second Season of Amagami that I bothered watching. I can't do long shows anymore.

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
  • Badges SCIENCE! Beedog Approved Moonspeaker Cosplayer Manly Man Spotted Memebon Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Bears
« Reply #9 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 02:00:48 AM »
That's two seasons more than any anime I've really watched in the last... 4 years, outside of K-on, Working, and 4 of the episodes from the second Season of Amagami that I bothered watching. I can't do long shows anymore.

Except that the show isn't particularly distinct between seasons. It's pretty much just one kinda long season partitioned based on what element he is in the process of learning. It flows a lot better than K-On! or Working in my opinion.

Sonic9jct

•   
  • Wubba lubba dub dub
    • Sanpozeit
« Reply #10 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 08:52:36 AM »

Is 56 eps over 3 seasons too long for you?

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #11 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 09:05:32 AM »
I thought it was good. I love how Tenzin always has these little outburst of emotion.
« Last Edit: 03/ 29/ 2012, 05:35:54 AM by redlemon »

Sonic9jct

•   
  • Wubba lubba dub dub
    • Sanpozeit
« Reply #12 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 09:26:12 AM »
I thought it was good. I love how Tenzin always has these little outburst of motion.

JK Simmons.  Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #13 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 11:30:01 AM »
Halidar has all the exact same arguments I do about Avatar. However, Sharp is insisting I sit through a few eps. I hope I like it because otherwise I'll be stuck there, bored.

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
« Reply #14 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 11:32:56 AM »
I haven't met anyone who watched Avatar and didn't like it.

Grog

• nubbin
« Reply #15 on: 03/ 25/ 2012, 01:56:11 PM »
Halidar you should watch Avatar the Last Airbender it was really good and it doesn't feel that long in hindsight.

Also I just watched the first two episodes.  So Good.  Kora is basically Toph and is super adorable.  And why is this show so good at making animals I want as a pet, first air bison now polar bear dogs, why are they so good.  I like how they changed the way bending is viewed since it is no longer being oppressed by the fire nation and is more open.  I also would like more ties to old characters.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar New York Dance Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #16 on: 04/ 13/ 2012, 05:55:17 AM »
I've been meaning to get into this show after watching Avatar (I thought it was childish and openly mocked people who were watching it at the time but after I heard the Burches rave about it on the HAWPcast I gave it a shot)

But I haven't because I have a feeling it won't live up to its predecessor. Like how Matt Smith didn't live up to Tennant although he is getting there

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
« Reply #17 on: 04/ 14/ 2012, 02:02:10 AM »
I've been meaning to get into this show after watching Avatar (I thought it was childish and openly mocked people who were watching it at the time but after I heard the Burches rave about it on the HAWPcast I gave it a shot)

But I haven't because I have a feeling it won't live up to its predecessor. Like how Matt Smith didn't live up to Tennant although he is getting there

You just compared Doctor Who to Avatar.
Get the fuck out.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
« Reply #18 on: 04/ 14/ 2012, 02:06:01 AM »
Like how Matt Smith didn't live up to Tennant

Lies.

Sonic9jct

•   
  • Wubba lubba dub dub
    • Sanpozeit
« Reply #19 on: 04/ 15/ 2012, 05:53:54 PM »

It feels like the fourth season that Avatar desperately needed.  They make it clear very early on that they aren't going to be pandering to fans of the original show, but simply giving them even more of the exact same thing they love, just with muuch more resources behind it overall.