Kids on the Slope / Sakamichi no Apollon
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Kids on the Slope / Sakamichi no Apollon  (Read 4365 times)

Cataract

• Mechanical Pony Wrangler
  •   
  • Serious business.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Manly Man Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Rockmelon Game Night
« on: 05/ 17/ 2012, 07:41:39 PM »
So, this show has quickly become one of my favorites.

A killer jazz soundtrack by Yoko Kanno? The same director as Bebop? 1950's-ish Japan feeling the influence of jazz?

AMAZING

I'm watching the series by watching the HorribleSubs videos in 720p. New episodes are coming out every Thursday it seems, and there are 6 episodes in total out right now. There's also the soundtrack for the show floating around the internet if you care to find it (which you should).

Since episode 6 just came out today, I figure I'll use that as the launch for discussion. After last weeks episode seemed to be a Christmas episode, was anyone else shocked that suddenly it's a new school year? Was spring skipped, or are their school years more like college semesters? Either way, I feel like the recent episodes are starting to show the main character falling progressively worse into depression due to Ritsuko rejecting his romantic advances. I think there's a nice deal of character growth and progression coming from everyone so far, with things being a bit slower with Ritsuko right now.

Thoughts? Opinions? Professions of undying love for this show?

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
  • Loli Apprentice and Kuroneko's Illegitimate Child
  • Badges SCIENCE! Beedog Approved Moonspeaker Cosplayer Manly Man Spotted Memebon Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Bears
« Reply #1 on: 05/ 17/ 2012, 07:56:09 PM »
I've heard about it, but I just don't feel like picking it up. I can barely keep up with everything I'm currently watching. I'm not a big fan of jazz anyways.

Cataract

•   
  • Serious business.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Manly Man Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #2 on: 05/ 17/ 2012, 07:58:04 PM »
That's cool. This is honestly the only thing I'm watching this season, and I'm a big fan of jazz. I can understand not caring for the show if you don't like the genre.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • All You Can Eat
« Reply #3 on: 05/ 17/ 2012, 08:50:14 PM »
Dude, I love this show. It is really, really amazing. It will break hearts and play nice music along side it. And it will be so worth it.

I really hope everyone gets a girl in the end...

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #4 on: 05/ 17/ 2012, 11:04:11 PM »
Everything about this show is fucking great. Like...I can't think of anything that they screwed up on. Fucking love it.

Also, regarding Ritsuko and Kaoru: I think while Kaoru tries to get over Ritsuko and pair her with Sentarou, Ritsuko will start developing feelings for Kaoru. Which seems to be already starting, from certain hints in the newest ep. HAPPY FACE.

Also also, was that Jun at the end? I'm sensing "washed up ex-badass". Or "I'm in a huge load of shit and will probably be dead in a week cause I owe some guys a bunch of money". Or both.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • All You Can Eat
« Reply #5 on: 05/ 18/ 2012, 07:20:46 AM »
I can relate to everything Kaoru is going though about that friendship. And I really don't like that Beatles dude. He seems to be a manipulative butt head.

Cataract

•   
  • Serious business.
« Reply #6 on: 05/ 18/ 2012, 09:16:57 AM »
I can relate to everything Kaoru is going though about that friendship. And I really don't like that Beatles dude. He seems to be a manipulative butt head.

Yeah, he's pretty awful. I do like that they make the most annoying character (so far) be the one who's obsessed with pop music, though.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
« Reply #7 on: 05/ 19/ 2012, 01:36:41 AM »
Fuck. That. Guy. #TeamKaoru

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #8 on: 05/ 19/ 2012, 01:56:29 AM »
I can relate to everything Kaoru is going though about that friendship.

Same here. I've been in the "I like this girl but this girl likes my friend who likes this other girl" situation before, and it is painful as fuck. Especially when "my friend who likes this other girl starts liking the girl I like and now I'm all alone forever".

Fuck. That. Guy. #TeamKaoru

This. 100%.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • All You Can Eat
« Reply #9 on: 05/ 19/ 2012, 06:24:30 AM »
Same here. I've been in the "I like this girl but this girl likes my friend who likes this other girl" situation before, and it is painful as fuck. Especially when "my friend who likes this other girl starts liking the girl I like and now I'm all alone forever".

More in a hey I got friends then New guy comes in way. Then happens where are all my friends, what happened, why don't you talk to me anymore?

Something like that.

#TeamKaoru

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #10 on: 05/ 25/ 2012, 04:02:07 AM »
THIS EPISODE. HOLY FUCK.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • All You Can Eat
« Reply #11 on: 05/ 25/ 2012, 06:36:08 AM »
This was a lot of fun to watch and the music is just gorgeous!
So glad everything is somewhat alright again... And that the rest of the class is playing matchmaker is really sweet
The spoilers are about episode 7 and are quite minor. Just saying.

Also
Pretty ladies everywhere!

Cataract

•   
  • Serious business.
« Reply #12 on: 05/ 25/ 2012, 09:25:14 PM »
Haven't watched the new episode yet! I'm stuck at work, but I'm planning on watching it as soon as I get home.

Cataract

•   
  • Serious business.
« Reply #13 on: 05/ 26/ 2012, 12:01:44 AM »
HOLY SHIT

HOLY SHIT

THIS FUCKING EPISODE

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
« Reply #14 on: 05/ 26/ 2012, 02:51:05 AM »
The ending was absolutely fantastic.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
« Reply #15 on: 05/ 26/ 2012, 01:03:30 PM »
So. Freaking. Good.

Choked up a bit at the end.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
« Reply #16 on: 05/ 31/ 2012, 06:33:10 PM »
Lots going on in this week's episode.

The bomb, it has been dropped.

Cataract

•   
  • Serious business.

Cataract

•   
  • Serious business.
« Reply #18 on: 05/ 31/ 2012, 08:39:03 PM »
Lots going on in this week's episode.

The bomb, it has been dropped.

I was expecting differently after you said that, considering how Karou and Sentaro had just patched things up. Definitely an intense episode, everyone seems to be going through a lot of pain right now. Fuck. I love this show.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
« Reply #19 on: 06/ 01/ 2012, 01:01:56 AM »
I admit that I have a crush on Ri-chan and Kaoru's short haired classmate.