Music Resources
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Music Resources  (Read 2711 times)

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Music Resources
« on: 06/ 24/ 2012, 10:50:20 PM »
Kinda like the art resources thread, but for music.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DubSpot
Mostly focused around dubstep, but covers a lot of good information for making any type of electronic music and such. (also the Dubspot.com website has a ton of info too)

http://www.ableton.com/blog
good information if you're using any of the Ableton software, straight from the Ableton crew.

http://8notes.com/theory/
Pretty good information on music theory

http://audio.tutsplus.com/
Lots of info on plenty of subjects / instruments / software

Right now, Dubspot has a free training program with ableton going on till the end of the month (just found out about it  today :(   )  http://www.dubspot.com/ableton3030/  check it out before it's too late!

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Music Resources
« Reply #1 on: 06/ 25/ 2012, 03:48:02 PM »
http://www.soundonsound.com

you can find lots of tips on recording and studio stuff in general on this website. they also run a magazine publication.

the rest are forums below.

http://tweakheadz.com/

they have lots of good guides and how toos just have to search for em.

http://www.mpc-forums.com

forum that mostly talks about the MPC line of drum machines/samplers - there are also lots of great tutorials that go heavily into detail about the MPC and connecting it to various recording software (logic, pro tools etc.) they're not free but worth it.

http://www.djforums.com/

easily the greatest wealth of DJ knowledge available hosting an enormous amount of members ranging from all sorts of genres.  ask anything but basic question (ie what should my DJ name be) and you will always get polite service and good answers.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/

if you've ever wanted to know anything about old and new synths and drum machines etc. this is probably your best bet, the forum members aren't too bad, although when i go there it is just to search and find info.

http://elektron-users.com

forum set up by users of the elektron line of instruments (machinedrum, monomachine, octatrack, sidstation) this is probably one of the nicest music communities i've ever been apart of.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/

i only go here when i want to buy something, i know they do have a crap load of community members and im sure you can find info on what you're looking for but you just have to go through the bs to get it.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/

same as the gear slutz forum except i use this to buy guitar/bass equipment great place to do so as there is always a whole load of stuff forsale when it comes to the stringed instruments.  they also have threads to sell synths, recording eq etc. but those aren't as populated as guitar and bass stuff.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Music Resources
« Reply #2 on: 06/ 27/ 2012, 11:43:51 AM »
http://tarekith.com/tutorials-and-reviews/

Tarekith is a long time member and moderator for elektron-users forum, he does mixing and mastering for a living and in his spare time writes really really good guides for all sorts of the creative processes of music from writing all the way to mixing.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Music Resources
« Reply #3 on: 02/ 04/ 2013, 10:30:59 AM »
DJ Vespers
Most of his videos deal with working in Ableton Live and EDM production.  He does a really good job explaining the concepts he's using so it's easy enough to transfer those into other DAWs.  He also has a bunch of free stems and packs on his website which are useful for playing around with.

Tom Cosm
Another good youtube guy for EDM production.  Again, it's all Ableton based stuff, but it's easily transferred into other programs. 

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Music Resources
« Reply #4 on: 02/ 07/ 2013, 03:37:28 PM »
I was just actually thinking about making the switch to Ableton Live 8 (i've had it sitting on my shelf for a long while) been watching tutorial vids on it and it looks more fun and beat maker friendly than Logic Studio.

I've also had Propellerhead Reason/Record and Cubase in my possession for a long time but never got around to using those either.

I think it's finally time i gave up using Logic. 

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Music Resources
« Reply #5 on: 02/ 08/ 2013, 01:00:06 PM »
It's official going to Ableton to handle any and all music recordings from now on and Propellerheads Recycle for sampling duties.

Getting rid of my MPC 2500 and Korg R3 Synth to make room for an Akai MPD 32

so I'll be left with
Elektron Monomachine
Elektron A4
Turntable and Mixer
M-Audio Axiom 49

and my rack that has a guitar and bass line 6 pod, compressor, effects processor and mackie mixer.

Plus my guitar, bass, nintendo w/ flash cart and gameboy.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Music Resources
« Reply #6 on: 02/ 08/ 2013, 02:49:28 PM »
Lemme know if you need anything on Ableton (or I may be asking you some stuff) 

I haven't messed with Logic or anything else (only FL Studio and Garage Band) as far as DAW's go, but Ableton is just so easy to use.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  • Board Manager
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Music Resources
« Reply #7 on: 02/ 08/ 2013, 02:53:15 PM »
Cubase is freaking amazing and I want it really badly. But moneys.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Music Resources
« Reply #8 on: 02/ 08/ 2013, 04:31:31 PM »
Lemme know if you need anything on Ableton (or I may be asking you some stuff) 

I haven't messed with Logic or anything else (only FL Studio and Garage Band) as far as DAW's go, but Ableton is just so easy to use.

Logic isn't too bad to use it's just Ableton has that more "create music in squares" where as Logic is like your typical 4 track recorders.  I'll still use it if I ever do band stuff or want/need to record a band LOLOLOL (i.e. never). I'll probably start this weekend, going to hopefully snag an Akai MPD 32 on ebay.

Cubase is freaking amazing and I want it really badly. But moneys.

Yea i read and watched a lot of videos when i decided to buy it but ultimately it's just too daunting for me, heard it's good/really good for VSTs which is something for some reason Logic Studio doesn't have :/

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  • Board Manager
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Music Resources
« Reply #9 on: 02/ 09/ 2013, 05:25:14 AM »
Cubase only interests me as I go reall used to editing audio with it and then I got a mac and Cubase wasn't happening anymore. I miss it because it is the one I compare any other audio editing program to by now.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Music Resources
« Reply #10 on: 02/ 11/ 2013, 08:53:09 AM »
finally decided and solidified the controllers i will be purchasing for Ableton -

Novation Launchpad - launch clips etc
Novation SL MK II 49 - for playing software synths etc. and for intense editing of Ableton
Akai MPD 32 - because no matter what I can't get away from MPC style of drumming.

Selling my

MPC 2500
M-audio Axiom 49
Korg R3

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Music Resources
« Reply #11 on: 02/ 11/ 2013, 09:12:43 AM »
The launchpad is a great little tool, though I do wish that I had spent the extra little bit of money and gone with an Akai APC40.  Still built around Ableton and launching clips, but with the added benefit of sliders and knobs (you can set up the launchpad to have rows of the buttons set to act like sliders in the User 2 mode, but they give you no real feedback on where it's set (no lights or anything))

That being said, since the MPD32 has all those things built into it, the launchpad should do you just fine

I'm curious, why the switch from the Axiom 49 to the SL MK II?

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Music Resources
« Reply #12 on: 02/ 11/ 2013, 09:48:28 AM »
The launchpad is a great little tool, though I do wish that I had spent the extra little bit of money and gone with an Akai APC40.  Still built around Ableton and launching clips, but with the added benefit of sliders and knobs (you can set up the launchpad to have rows of the buttons set to act like sliders in the User 2 mode, but they give you no real feedback on where it's set (no lights or anything))

That being said, since the MPD32 has all those things built into it, the launchpad should do you just fine

I'm curious, why the switch from the Axiom 49 to the SL MK II?

I thought a lot about getting the APC 40 (a lot) but read a lot about internal noise issues and the faders being cheap and wearing out quickly (which is pretty much Akai's track record since their integration with Numark). You could combine the Launchpad with the Zero SL MK (I or II) same thing as the SL 49 minus the keys.  Check out that Madeon Pop Culture vid on the tubes he uses that combo.

Switching to the SL MK II mostly because of the design and while i love the feel of the semi weighted keys of the Axiom, I think the SL MK II will better integrate with Ableton

You could also try the Behringer BCR or BCF series those run pretty cheap (+/- $150) in combo with the novation launchpad

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Music Resources
« Reply #13 on: 02/ 11/ 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
I thought a lot about getting the APC 40 (a lot) but read a lot about internal noise issues and the faders being cheap and wearing out quickly

OH, now I remember reading about that...Maybe that's why I ended up with the Launchpad  /shrug

I've been looking at getting a new keyboard (getting rid of my old Casio {you know, those crappy ones with 1000 preset sounds and songs? :P } Probably going to end up with the SL MkII

Does anyone know of some decent cheap studio monitors?  My headphones are great, except when it comes to mixing, things just don't end up sounding right elsewhere (and my current speaker setup doesn't let me output as flat, only crappy preset EQ's

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Music Resources
« Reply #14 on: 02/ 20/ 2013, 03:37:12 PM »
OH, now I remember reading about that...Maybe that's why I ended up with the Launchpad  /shrug

I've been looking at getting a new keyboard (getting rid of my old Casio {you know, those crappy ones with 1000 preset sounds and songs? :P } Probably going to end up with the SL MkII

Does anyone know of some decent cheap studio monitors?  My headphones are great, except when it comes to mixing, things just don't end up sounding right elsewhere (and my current speaker setup doesn't let me output as flat, only crappy preset EQ's

just saw your monitor question, still looking? also how much are you looking to spend? KRK makes the Rokit line that go for a generally cheap price, they would make for a good bedroom style setup. If you want cheaper than new would recommend used and getting the Gen 1 8'. I know they make a 6' in the Rokits and I believe 5' as well. I would recommend 8's though since they will be powerful enough if you ever want to "crank" them and clear enough at a mid level.  Anything quieter and I would just go with headphones. To go even cheaper you can look at the M-audio BX8a original (i think a pair would go for 150-200) those will get the job done as far as price goes. They also make them in 5's as well.

I finally got all my pieces in the other night.

Launchpad - I love it so far was messing around with it controlling a software synth before i finally got my keyboard controller.  The click aspect is a little weird to me but getting used to it. I don't like how some of the buttons have this reference point on some of the pads that feels like a hard nipple. Kind of annoying.

Novation SL MK II 49 - the keys take a little getting used to since i came from the axiom which had semi weighted keys but they feel great and so do all the knobs haven't got to try either of them with ableton yet.

Maschine MK II - yea i went and got this instead of going the MPD 32 w/ Propellerhead Recycle decided to get something that could do it all if i wanted to.

Chipsounds - http://www.plogue.com/products/chipsounds/ - 8 bit vst plugin that emulates a crap load of sounds from old systems etc. has a lot of features for only $95 works as a stand alone synth as well.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Music Resources
« Reply #15 on: 02/ 21/ 2013, 12:31:14 AM »

just saw your monitor question, still looking? also how much are you looking to spend? KRK makes the Rokit line that go for a generally cheap price, they would make for a good bedroom style setup. If you want cheaper than new would recommend used and getting the Gen 1 8'. I know they make a 6' in the Rokits and I believe 5' as well. I would recommend 8's though since they will be powerful enough if you ever want to "crank" them and clear enough at a mid level.  Anything quieter and I would just go with headphones. To go even cheaper you can look at the M-audio BX8a original (i think a pair would go for 150-200) those will get the job done as far as price goes. They also make them in 5's as well.

sweet!  Danke! It'll be a little while before I pick up anything, but I'm leaning toward those KRKs

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Music Resources
« Reply #16 on: 02/ 22/ 2013, 11:43:17 AM »
so i finally got a chance to try out Maschine last night and WTF why haven't i been using this before??????? haven't never used it before i sampled a break from my meager vinyl collection last night chopped it up and assigned it to pads in under 10 minutes. with more use im sure i could sample that same break, chop it and assign it in under 4 minutes which is so so so much faster than i have ever been on my MPC 2500.  the way the hardware controller integrates with the software is pretty fucking seamless. you can go pretty much the whole way without ever looking at your computer, which is pretty fucking nice but also very convenient to have the computer as well especially when editing the waveforms (which can be done on the hardware screens alone).

at this point im not sure if im even going to use ableton, probably will especially when i want to get a little glitchy etc.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Music Resources
« Reply #17 on: 03/ 27/ 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
http://www.attackmagazine.com/  A good EDM resource with some breakdowns of songs / beats and such

http://www.hooktheory.com/  Break down of melodies for songs, training for figuring out melodies / notes  in songs  and more

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Music Resources
« Reply #18 on: 11/ 03/ 2013, 07:29:47 PM »
On our discussion in the bear about mixing and mastering: 
I've been somewhat using this idea of "shmastering" to do quick crappy mastering on tracks.  http://www.djtechtools.com/2013/09/15/schmastering-rapid-fire-mastering-with-mad-zach/

I've also saved some various stuff on mixing and mastering that ill post when I get home tonight!

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Music Resources
« Reply #19 on: 11/ 04/ 2013, 12:33:04 PM »
werd man that helps a lot, might give it a test on my first track sometime soon.

i wish i would've looked this up more extensively before i released Open Air, a limiter would've greatly helped and rolling off the highs and lows fuuuuuu