Sword Art Online (Spoilers)
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Sword Art Online (Spoilers)  (Read 15463 times)

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Eyebrows on FLEEK.
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« on: 07/ 22/ 2012, 12:49:36 AM »
This show pulls no punches and I think eventually the spoiler tags will get gigantic in the general anime thread. SO! Here is where you talk about SAO. :)

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Eyebrows on FLEEK.
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #1 on: 07/ 22/ 2012, 12:49:43 AM »
I have a theory about Kirito. I think he can leave if he wants to. In the first ep, you saw his hands go to remove the helmet and then he stopped. I think he's somehow related to the creator of the game.

Sharp thinks that the deaths aren't permanent, that it's a ruse by the game creator.

These are just theories, we don't have any prior experience with the story.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #2 on: 07/ 22/ 2012, 04:18:23 AM »
Definitely agreed with Sharp. I think it's a lesson for the players not to take their lives for granted. With the apathetic way Kirito treated his sister, I think when he comes back he'll treat her properly. Or he'll find his sister in the game, watch her die, and then have that pain fuel his quest to finish the game. Then he'd wake up to find his sister alive, and so on and so forth.

As for Kirito leaving, I really hope that's not the case. I hate it when protagonists are hiding stuff, since they're usually the ones I try to connect with the most. So finding out that they're hiding something makes it feel like I'm hiding something from myself, which just feels odd.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
« Reply #3 on: 07/ 22/ 2012, 11:26:34 PM »
I decided to give the LN a try, just to see how different the two versions are. Only up through chapter 3 of the first book, and it looks like chapter 4 will end at the end of the first episode.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #4 on: 07/ 23/ 2012, 08:58:29 AM »
Question that's been getting in the way of me watching the show:

Did they explain how their bodies are being sustained in reality?  I know food in the game world just restores HP, and I'm pretty sure months have passed.  The only thing I can think of is "1 day in game world = 1 minute in real world" kinda dealies

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Eyebrows on FLEEK.
« Reply #5 on: 07/ 23/ 2012, 12:28:50 PM »
They haven't explained it thus far. Bugs me too. I just assume everybody is on a feeding tube or something.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
« Reply #6 on: 07/ 23/ 2012, 07:52:37 PM »
FYI, they touch on the eating question very briefly in the LN (all within the first two episodes; I'll spoiler it just in case): First mention was during the big announcement in the first episode "...you'll no doubt be rushed to a hospital bed..." and then again at what would be the very beginning of the second episode "....there were two basic bodily needs that existed in SAO. One was fatigue and the other was hunger..." "...it was most probably that we were being force fed nutrients somehow."

Still haven't seen episode three yet; slow reader is slow.

EDIT: didn't notice two topics were brought up above, changed my "it" to be specific.
« Last Edit: 07/ 23/ 2012, 09:51:48 PM by fryfry »

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #7 on: 07/ 23/ 2012, 09:09:16 PM »
I'm not gonna check the spoilers, just in case. But yeah, everyone's probably doing the food tube thing. And the government obviously knows about it, so they're probably giving the families whatever they need to keep the players comfortable.

As for in-game time, I figure the creator wanted it to be as real as possible so he probably went with real-time.

Armoured badger

•   
  • *Gibberish*
  • Badges Bears Beedog Approved Item Shop Penguin Tagged Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Spotted Memebon tee hee hee Dancing with Myself
« Reply #8 on: 07/ 24/ 2012, 07:03:07 PM »
Just started watching and I'm with Mav and Sharp on the whole 'they're probably not dead thing.'

If thats not the case then i'm gonna be super depressed, when Sachi's Message was playing I cried. A LOT

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
  • Badges Inufantry Jill Sandwich Moderator Penguin Tagged Rockmelon Game Night Sauninda harder Sauninda Beedog Approved SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • My Anime List
« Reply #9 on: 07/ 27/ 2012, 07:22:33 PM »
Just saw episode three. Shits messed up, yo.

And I'm pretty sure they're all really dying. The creator showed them all news feeds of reports of players dying when he did the "lolyourestuckhere" reveal in episode one.

Or am I remembering that wrong?

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
« Reply #10 on: 07/ 27/ 2012, 07:40:23 PM »
he did for sure but those could've easily been faked.

I'm still thinking that the game itself isn't in real time, kinda like a 24hr cycle in GTA is 24 some odd minutes.

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
  • Badges Inufantry Jill Sandwich Moderator Penguin Tagged Rockmelon Game Night Sauninda harder Sauninda Beedog Approved SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • My Anime List
« Reply #11 on: 07/ 27/ 2012, 07:43:12 PM »
True, but there's been no indication that creator man has any reason to fake such a thing. Unless something happens that indicates that them dying in the for real is a lie, I'm assuming they're all really dying.

fryfry

•   
    • MAL
« Reply #12 on: 07/ 27/ 2012, 08:25:47 PM »
Light Novel stuff that has touched on the game time (not sure where I am anymore, episode 2 or 3 never happened....):They have the ability in game to see what the current date is on the outside. At the chapter I'm on now, he makes note that it's been 2 years since they were brought into the game. Again, no real way of knowing if this is ACTUALLY the date, or if there's some sort of time manipulation going on. The game day cycles haven't been explained particularly well. At first it seemed like it followed real world time, but then there are scenes where the game day changes while they're standing around. Maybe the translations just not that great?

I'm personally with you guys, I think there's something going on in which time isn't really progressing at normal pace, and that no one's dying. As far as game days go, I'm we'll be able to figure it out as the show gets going.

Let me know if you guys would like me to stop with these comments. I'll save them until after it's over/keep them to myself

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #13 on: 07/ 28/ 2012, 01:21:45 AM »
yeah i think that maybe if the helmet is removed prior to the player winning or dying it might kill them, but if they die or win they can take the helmet off safely? but the designer makes sure that info doesn't get to the people still playing. this is so that people don't just get yanked out by people on the outside, even when the dead players come out of the game all fine.

just a theory, who knows. that's what i would do if i was a psychotic game designer with a god complex. make it so that no-one can opt-out of my world knowingly. i don't buy that these people are all basically dead already, i don't know much about the game designer guy, but this doesn't see, to be the type of series where something that rough and straight forward would happen. there is definitely way more that we don't know yet.

also, our designer guy HAS to be all up in jail right now right? i mean. right?

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
    • My Anime List
« Reply #14 on: 07/ 28/ 2012, 01:32:16 AM »
If he's truly evil, he has a secret base of operations that no one knows about.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #15 on: 07/ 28/ 2012, 11:23:06 AM »
If he's truly evil, he has a secret base of operations that no one knows about.

NINTENDOLAND!

omg we have to stop reggie before this comes to pass

Armoured badger

•   
  • *Gibberish*
  • Badges Bears Beedog Approved Item Shop Penguin Tagged Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Spotted Memebon tee hee hee Dancing with Myself
« Reply #16 on: 07/ 28/ 2012, 05:20:37 PM »
I have this odd feeling Kirito is evil guy's nephew or something, I don't know why though.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Eyebrows on FLEEK.
« Reply #17 on: 07/ 28/ 2012, 06:38:17 PM »
I have this odd feeling Kirito is evil guy's nephew or something, I don't know why though.

I had the same thought! I think they're related!

Ep 4 is up now on CR. Don't have time to watch it at the moment tho.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #18 on: 07/ 29/ 2012, 02:41:40 AM »
Throughout this entire episode I was expecting something absolutely horrible to happen to Silica. I'm so fucking happy she turned out okay. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire fucking episode, especially when that skank showed up. The "real life perma-death" plot element apparently carries out its intended purpose. T__T

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Eyebrows on FLEEK.
« Reply #19 on: 07/ 29/ 2012, 12:30:04 PM »
I saw her and thought "No one is safe!" Oh gawd! (much like you, Mav). Cute ep, I fear for her survival overall.  I now like Kirito more because his class is essentially what I played in City of Heroes, a Regen Scrapper. They do solo well, actually.

I feel like I should be keeping track of the dates better. They're showing them for a reason, I guess. :P