General vidja gaem discussion
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: General vidja gaem discussion  (Read 248460 times)

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar New York Dance Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #6780 on: 07/ 26/ 2017, 01:53:52 PM »
Read The Last Wish. If you liked that then play Assassins of Kings, you can afford to skip the first game. The books serve as better setup for Wild Hunt than any of the games do. All the games take place after the books anyway.

I read The Last Wish just on a whim.
It was pretty good some of the time, like subverting common fairy tale tropes.

Even though I never played a Witcher game, I was really excited to learn how Ciri came about and why she was brought up as a Witcher under Geralt

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #6781 on: 07/ 26/ 2017, 11:43:02 PM »
Read The Last Wish. If you liked that then play Assassins of Kings, you can afford to skip the first game. The books serve as better setup for Wild Hunt than any of the games do. All the games take place after the books anyway.

The first game does this dumb amnesia thing which they get rid of pretty quickly in 2, and what memories Geralt does recover won't really mean much if you haven't read at least some of the books. It helps to know who Yennifer and Dandelion are, too.
That aside, they're good stories and not very long. That's my recommendation, The Witcher rules.

SHALL DO. Thanks for the info. :D I didn't even know this started out as a book until just now. That's pretty awesome.

Is there anything else I should know from the books before playing the games? Or is it just The Last Wish?

Sean

•   
  • foooooooooooooooooooooooomin
  • Badges Item Shop Rockmelon Game Night Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #6782 on: 07/ 27/ 2017, 03:16:21 AM »
Geralt meets Ciri in Sword of Destiny, which comes after Last Wish, so that's as far as I'd say you need to go. But only Last Wish is really necessary before playing 2.
There are more books after that which are mainly about Ciri's training and her life as a bandit. But I would only recommend those if you've liked everything else up to that point. Have fun, friend!

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #6783 on: 08/ 08/ 2017, 05:19:49 PM »
Jim had some anger issues about a game (it saved behind him and he got trapped, unable to proceed) so he gave it a 1/10. He's since rescinded the score but frankly, I felt like this was done for "the hits". I guess it's working, because here I am talking about it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpv2acIgzYE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpv2acIgzYE</a>

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #6784 on: 08/ 08/ 2017, 06:31:51 PM »
Jim had some anger issues about a game (it saved behind him and he got trapped, unable to proceed) so he gave it a 1/10. He's since rescinded the score but frankly, I felt like this was done for "the hits". I guess it's working, because here I am talking about it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpv2acIgzYE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpv2acIgzYE</a>

I honestly don't think he does anything "for the hits" really. He has an established loyal fanbase, he is fully funded, and he makes things he cares about. No one makes Boglin Watch or The Videogame Show What I've Done for the hits. This feels like genuine frustration and anger that a game he was otherwise enjoying locked him out of progressing and had no way of undoing it. If that happened a dozen hours into a game I was enjoying I would honestly never go back. I would be so angry and defeated by that.

edit: Actually, thinking about it, that -has- happened to me to an extent. I was 23 hours into The Last Remnant when I saved before a boss fight. I was to weak to beat the boss, there was nowhere to resupply or grind, and I couldn't leave the area. I loved that game to that point and just never played it again.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #6785 on: 08/ 08/ 2017, 07:13:17 PM »
I agree that it seems like pure aggravation, and it's a problem that needs to be addressed. But giving it a 1/10 after enjoying everything else seems pretty silly to me. It would be a big tick off of my score, but I probably wouldn't dig in that deep. Even if I didn't play it again. I've had several of those types of problems pop up over the years, but felt it pretty insincere and "in the moment" to say I hated the whole game after that point.

Side-note: Stuff like this is why I don't take review scores very seriously, since they're always so based on personal experience. It's interesting to see their opinion, but that's pretty much it.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #6786 on: 08/ 08/ 2017, 08:03:26 PM »
I would agree with you if he didn't go back and acknowledge his mistake and reassess it.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #6787 on: 08/ 08/ 2017, 10:20:09 PM »
Oh yeah, I very much think he did a good there. I was just talking about the initial situation itself. Other people have done similar things and just left it. Jim, on the other hand, I respect a lot because he knows how to acknowledge his mistakes.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #6788 on: 08/ 09/ 2017, 05:32:07 AM »

I don't follow Jim's stuff anymore since I'm not interested in watching people talk about videogames but reviewers aren't a charity. If they're given something and it doesn't work them's the breaks.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar New York Dance Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #6789 on: 08/ 09/ 2017, 12:56:51 PM »
I don't follow Jim's stuff anymore since I'm not interested in watching people talk about videogames but reviewers aren't a charity. If they're given something and it doesn't work them's the breaks.

I've fallen off Jim's stuff too apart from the Jimquisition. His Podtoid style really put me off his podcasts and the Podquisition I really didn't like with Laura and Gavin feeling more like 'Yes Men' than actual discussion.

I think the 1/10 thing is akin to his take no prisoners attitude of his earlier work where he would give FFXIII 4/10 or Assassins Creed 2 4/10 and Deadly Premonition a 10/10. He wouldn't apologise for it, it's just how he felt and for better or worse he got recognition, 'page views', and integrity for standing by it.

JohZho

•   
  • Hottou Cakey
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Classiest of the classy Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee
« Reply #6790 on: 08/ 09/ 2017, 01:03:22 PM »
It's sorta a shtick he's sticking with and he knows its effective.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #6791 on: 08/ 31/ 2017, 03:46:51 PM »
OMG Travis Strikes AGAIN trailer!
As flawed as NMH is, I love it's charm and style to pieces.

The amount of fourth wall breaks, call backs to past games, and just Travis Touchdown being as smart alecked and nerdy at the same time is just amazing

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #6792 on: 08/ 31/ 2017, 07:48:52 PM »
I've always wanted to play NMH, but never had the systems to do it. One day. Hopefully sooner than later. I will watch the trailer when I finish NMH2. Hopefully YouTube still exists when that happens.

Sean

•   
  • foooooooooooooooooooooooomin
  • Badges Item Shop Rockmelon Game Night Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #6793 on: 09/ 14/ 2017, 09:11:13 PM »
Direct thoughts? Nothing really stood out to me except Doom, that was unexpected.

JohZho

•   
  • Hottou Cakey
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Classiest of the classy Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee
« Reply #6794 on: 09/ 14/ 2017, 11:45:55 PM »
Doom schmoom, the newest wolfenstein getting a port surprised me a bit more lol

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
« Reply #6795 on: 06/ 12/ 2018, 06:22:46 PM »
Sakurai has done it again. He teased me with a Smash game and just gave me a gimped down party masher again. I don't know I thought this would be any different. They made the characters faster and it looked like everything had way less landing lag but then they took it all away. This is Smash 4.1, even less hitstun, less options on edge-guards, Bayo still broke, removing even more follow-ups after throws. I'm out.

JohZho

•   
  • Hottou Cakey
« Reply #6796 on: 06/ 13/ 2018, 07:45:36 AM »
It got painfully obvious on the invitational tourney huh?

I'm still not happy til muh boy Isaac makes it in though...

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #6797 on: 06/ 13/ 2018, 07:53:16 AM »
Sakurai has done it again. He teased me with a Smash game and just gave me a gimped down party masher again. I don't know I thought this would be any different. They made the characters faster and it looked like everything had way less landing lag but then they took it all away. This is Smash 4.1, even less hitstun, less options on edge-guards, Bayo still broke, removing even more follow-ups after throws. I'm out.

Everyone is hyped that everyone is included but it seems that they are just updating old models i.e. everyone that has been in smash previously will now be in Smash Ultimate. I figure once the hype dies down this is what people will be complaining about and how there's no new fighters (unless i'm wrong and we get more than Ridley)

JohZho

•   
  • Hottou Cakey
« Reply #6798 on: 06/ 13/ 2018, 09:48:52 AM »
I'm happy about Daisy, Zelda LBW style and the obligatory Ridley. But it isn't enough really...

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #6799 on: 06/ 13/ 2018, 03:13:00 PM »
But it isn't enough really...
If Goku was in Smash, would that be enough?